Good intentions

Somehow I lost touch with all the doodling activities online. I think it was because I had got to the stage when I was really only drawing so that I could post stuff and get comments! Ridiculous. I'm all for being encouraged, but the doodling thing, whether you call it 'zentangle style'. 'neopoprealism' or just plain doodling, is for amusement and is a form of relaxation. Very keen 'zentangle' groupies get quite hysterical if you call their 'art' doodling, though that would assume that other forms of doodling are entirely without rhyme or reason and raise their 'art' to a status it does not really merit.


DOODLE ART can be found everywhere and what often started as play, turns into art or is designated as art later. I include all media in this, from wet-in-wet techniques, to collage and making things out of found objects.

We are all doodlers at heart. I don't just doodle on paper and canvas, but also in the kitchen. My cakes are usually improvised, so that's doodle cuisine, isn't it? Improvising at the piano or arranging stuff for my chorus is also doodling, and writing novels is doodling with a vengeance!

I have been working on larger doodles lately. I went back to small formats, but soon found them irritating and too trivial to be bothered with. A3, which is double letter-size, is nice because you really have to think about how you are going to fill all that space. So is that already digressing from doodling? I think not. 

I don't force the issue. If I find a drawing is getting tiresome or arduous, I either ditch it altogether, or put it away for a while. It invariably looks better a week or so later I also have a number of drawings that need more work, but gave way prematurely to something new. You can judge for yourself whether the drawings (doodles) that follow are completed or not. I'm not always sure. Even the shading factor is questionable. Some drawings look better unshaded. 

The following doodles are not the most recent. I'll post more next time!














Comments